Thursday, March 08, 2007

New Turbo kit on

After a LOT of messing around, and a lot of expense, the new turbo kit went onto the car. There was one problem though, it had a massive exhaust leak at the manifold that rendered the car unable to muster more than about 2 psi at full throttle... great.

So back into the workshop it went to have the manifold machined down and put back on, and a few hairline fractures re-welded. This really got my goat as the exact same thing had happened when my last turbo kit was installed.

So back on it went, only to discover that it was still leaking from hairline fractures under the wastegate... not happy.

By this stage I was fed up, had been charged nearly triple the original quote, and the car was still not right. I took the car and didn't return to the workshop in question.

It drove fine, and the crack would seal up after about 10 minutes of driving, so I had the car tuned.

This was the end result:

With 240+rwkw's and better response than before, as well as the extra stealth, I was very happy with my decision. The car had nice power, and sounded fantastic with the external gate venting to the ground. Music to my ears.



In early 2005 a friend of mine got his hands on his cousins new S15. The car was from WA and had a full house engine built by Speedworks. It had a TD06 - 20G, Jun 272 degree cams, forged pistons, 740cc injectors etc etc. It also had an external gate that vented straight to atmosphere, and after driving this car I knew one thing: I needed GATE!!! I was getting a little tired of my current turbo kit anyway, as it was a bit laggy, and the whole high mount issue was scaring me a little. I really wanted to get a low mounted, external wastegate turbo with a bit better response but a similar power potential, so I started having a look around.

I was quite lucky, as not long after I started thinking about this a full HKS T300 turbo kit came up for sale, including front pipe, HKS external wastegate, stainless low mount manifold, and of course the T300. Now, I didn't know much about the T300 when I bought it, but all the research I had done indicated that it would make the power I was chasing. This, combined with being low mounted an external gated had me sold! I figured even if the turbo wasn't what I was after I would just put a 2835 onto the existing manifold.

Here is the kit I purchased: